Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 16:25:17 PST

The toilet paper intro is always fun! Another first day thing I like to do
is to have the students draw an Oreo cookie, since they all know what one
looks like. Most of them will be finished in less than 5 minutes. Then I
pass out a real Oreo cookie and have them draw what they see. It's really
good for letting them know that just because they "know" what something
looks like, their drawings will always be better if they look at what they
are drawing. Of course then they get to eat the cookie. Perspective hallway
drawings are a good intro. One that takes abit of prep time on your part -
one year I took my portrait and created a large line drawing of it. I cut it
into squares, numbering each square on the back. Then the students doodled,
colored, and decorated their square. The next day they came in and there was
my colorful portrait - except for the one joker who thought it would be
funny to not turn his in. So I made a sign to put over it with the saying
"I'm not complete without all of you" - and then I had them all go "AWWWW".
Another good one is to give each student a square of paper - on one side
they doodle, draw, color a design or a picture, whatever they want to do. On
the back side they write about how they feel about coming to art class - I
tell them they can feel good, bad, or indifferent, but they must have an
emotion about the class. These are some of the ideas I've done in the past.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids