Re: [teacherartexchange] teenage boys LONG

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 14:28:40 PST

Oh, AMEN to this! I have spent so much time "selling" my program, I
feel like I should have gone to school for a degree in marketing!
You don't see science teachers or math teachers having to go to bat
for the validity of their programs, do you? And if you think about
it, art pulls all programs of study together -- history, math,
science, literature.... art overlaps all of those subjects so well.
You would think that would make art a more central, important part of
every school curriculum, but instead, it's thought of as "fluff."

I was actually told, by a principal in my last school, "the only
reason we haven't cut art is that the elective courses provide prep
periods for the core teachers." Yeah... they really don't get it.

Becky
Charleston, WV