Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 14:26:29 PST

Yes, it only takes one or two to change the dynamics of a class. Don't you
love it when those little darlins are absent? *L* Do you model when you
teach (I draw, you draw...)? The positive part of this is that the students
are apt to be more successful - especially those who aren't confident in
their artistic ability, and you have them engaged in learning, which keeps
them out of trouble. When we do clay for the first time I have them create a
rattle by joining two hollow spheres. Since we are working together this
takes up the first class period. The second day we start adding features,
and by this time they are engrossed in their projects and I can then work
one-on-one with students.

As for individual students - when I have one or two more "rambunctious" kids
I will ask them if they want to be my "special" student for the day. I have
a little student desk up my my work area and that is where my "special"
students work. I rarely have to use it, since they really want to sit with
their friends. If these kids are used to getting in trouble in every class
then most tricks aren't going to work with them. Humor works well! One day
the kids left such a mess that I was tempted to assign seats. Then I
remembered a power point that I had seen somewhere (maybe on this list?) I
took digital pictures of the mess, and then the next day when the students
came in they got to see a slide show that went something like "what do you
think Mrs.Austin did yesterday after you all left? Did she go to the candy
machines? NOOOOOOOO. Did she take a nap? NOOOOOOO. Did she visit with
friends? NOOOOOOOO. Guess what she did? Well, she picked up this (insert
picture 1 of the trash left on the tables). Then she washed out these
(insert picture of the paintbrushes left in sink)." This was VERY effective!
The kids got the message and they never did leave the room like that again.

You have a fresh start tomorrow. Go in with a positive attitude, tell the
students that they will be creating awesome art, and that you are looking
forward to getting to know each and every one of them. And mean it!!! If the
kids know you like them they are more willing to go the extra mile for you
(and it's not enough to just like them - they have to know it!)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids