RE: [teacherartexchange] camera obscura + cave paintings + theory

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 12:32:32 PST

Here's my question, and I emailed the guy:

Why are the pictures right side up in the caves, since camera obscura
"projects" upside down?

San D

It struck Gatton, a St. Francis High School art teacher, that the question
of how Paleolithic people got the notion to create representational art
could be answered by their living conditions. Holes in the animal hides that
covered their dwellings could have projected images from outside -- a
phenomenon of physics we now call camera obscura. The people could then have
traced the images onto their cave walls.

Go to his Web site, www.paleo-camera.com. Chances are you'll come away,
saying, "Why didn't I think of that?"