Re: [teacherartexchange] teenage boys - thanks Y.R.

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 04:30:02 PST

Greetings,

This is a national problem and it is growing. There was even a
Newsweek article about it a short time ago. Parents need to take a
more active role in their child's education. Parents need to show the
value of education. My husband and I had a thirst for learning that we
passed on to our son. Our son will be a lifelong learner.

Teenagers today who want to go on to college need to realize that the
grades - in ALL subjects are important. They won't get into a good
school on their looks - or parent connections (if that be the case).

The corporate world WANTS creative people... they don't just want
folks who can crunch the numbers. They want creative thinkers.

Don't give up Y.R.... Don't lower your standards. Keep they high.
Challenge all to meet them. You won't win all students. I don't know
how kids today get this attitude "What's the use?". If they don't care
(and parents don't care) - YOU have to care for them. In the case of
your students....somehow they have the idea that it is "cool" not to
care.

It is sad that parents do not see the value of art.... work on the
present generation and get them to care... In time, things will
change.

Regards,

Judy Decker

On 3/5/06, Y.R. Brown wrote:

>> I think that we need to understand that there is a
growing culture of students that don't care if they
learn anything, especially in art classes.