[teacherartexchange] Frida

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 22:18:11 PST

I too, have seen movies about Frida that I would not show to public school
kids. I think if you want to learn about Frida's life, the best place to
learn it is to look at her paintings. She put everything that was important
to her into her many self-portraits. If you do not see any symbols of the
Russian Revolution, it is because it really wasn't important to her the way
they would have you believe in the movies and the little bit of biography I
have read. I think it would make an interesting thesis to compare the
version of Frida's life as seen in her art with the public relations version
we see in the image of a radical woman who is an alcoholic and very
debauched. That's what some people wanted the U.S. public to believe about
radicals, that's because they wanted to make people into prostitutes and the
way they did it was to turn people against them by saying they were
communists. I think they also did that as a way to turn people against the
ideas that the communists were promoting. Also you have to remember that
Frida was a person with disabilties and they are people who have been
historically drawn into the underworld of crime because some people thought
that was the only way they could make money since they were otherwise too
sick to work. They were an easy mark because very few people wanted the
resonsibility of supporting someone who was sick a lot of the time.

I think there are many people who learned to draw and paint while they were
sick in bed.

Jean Womack