Re: [teacherartexchange] Troubled 5th grade-ideas

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 18:13:22 PST

Julie Jacobusse wrote:

> I am going to start integrating more choices into my curriculum. One
> concern is that in the south-they are so visual and everything has to
> be so cutesy that they think a lesson is unsuccessful if the projects
> the students create are not all purfect. (It can be like that every
> where for the most part-but even more here.) I feel that learning
> takes place even when they do not turn out. How will I explain to my
> principal that the students are learning through direct or inderect
> contact of a concept?

Eesh, I'm so lucky I never had those expectations from admin! Do you
have to turn in lesson plans each week? I would make sure I wrote what
the students would be LEARNING, not MAKING: not, "Students will create a
mask with papier mache," but something like "Students will compare and
contrast examples of ceremonial masks from X,Y, and Z cultures and note
how available materials were used as well as motifs particular to each
culture. Using found materials, they will create a mask for a personal
ceremony blahblahblah and use the art elements A,B.C and art principles
D,E,F." This is right off the top of my head and isn't great, but I
hope you can see the difference. I would also make sure the state or
national standard(s) you're addressing are included. If you don't have
to turn in lesson plans, consider yourself lucky, first of all, but put
the artwork on display with an explanatory sign of what the students
LEARNED.

It will take quite a while to work past these expectations of your admin
(and no doubt your colleagues as well). Is it possible your
predecessor's assignments produced cute stuff that all looked the same?

Maggie