[teacherartexchange] Wire and mesh screen sculpture - Augie N'Kele - African born

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 17:00:00 PST

Dear Art Educators,

This link was sent to me for consideration for additional to
Incredible Art Department.

Forgotten Heritage: Sculpture of Augie N'Kele
http://forgottenheritage.50megs.com/index.html

Also see:
http://nkele.50megs.com/

"Congo-born artist Augie N'Kele has been called a "storyteller with
his hands." Working with scrap metal, aluminum mesh, copper wire and
other found objects, N'Kele's powerful works bring African and
African-American history to life." (From Nelson Atkins web site)

I can see this inspiring a lesson. Window screen can be obtained for
FREE from hardware stores.... wire is cheap. I will be adding links to
the wire sculpture lessons on Incredible Art Department.

You have permission to save images to show students. This site has too
many banner ads. It will probably be blocked by school servers.

About Augie N'Kele:

Augie N'Kele was dubbed "a storyteller with his hands" by DFW
Connection Magazine for his wire sculpture series, Forgotten Heritage.

The Africa-born (Congo) artist's first exhibition was in Texas in
1992. He has exhibited throughout the United States and
internationally.

A recommendation from the Dallas Museum of Art in 1997 led to his work
being selected for a PBS special, Art Journeys Gallery: Out of Africa
into America, produced by the Art Museum of South Texas at Corpus
Christi. The program was syndicated on PBS and broadcast nationally
to schools via Satellite in the Classroom.

In 2003, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Missouri,
invited N'Kele to lecture in conjunction with their exhibition, Art of
the Lega: Meaning and Metaphor in Central Africa.

N'Kele has conducted a number of artist residencies in Texas, teaching
his techniques to students ranging in age from kindergarten through
college. He is currently an Artist-In-Residence working with teens at
the DesignIT Studios at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
in Fort Worth, Texas.

More on line:
http://www.colorado.edu/journals/standards/V7N2/ARTS/nkele.html
http://www.colorado.edu/journals/standards/V7N2/ARTS/nkele3.html