[teacherartexchange] Troubled 5th grade-ideas

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 14:08:28 PST

Thanks all for the advice about the troubled 5th grade class. I really
liked the idea of giving the students more choices/TAB and ownership of
their projects. I am going to do more reading and reseraching about how
to begin this in my classroom. How does this work for K-1st graders? I
can see 2nd-5th for sure. I am going to start integrating more choices
into my curriculum. One concern is that in the south-they are so visual
and everything has to be so cutesy that they think a lesson is
unsuccessful if the projects the students create are not all purfect.
(It can be like that every where for the most part-but even more here.)
I feel that learning takes place even when they do not turn out. How
will I explain to my principal that the students are learning through
direct or inderect contact of a concept?

Thanks Michael for giving me the portfolio idea and how to keep track
of names as well. I also liked the advice from Maggie. It helps to
hear the southern perspective about the northern accent. I am so
thankful to have this exchange! I have tried to talk to others at my
school~ like I said in my post about what I should be doing with the
class. Art is so different from any of the other classes/curriculum's
that they just do not understand or their advice is not applicable.
Have a great weekend and thanks Judy! You are so full of ideas! I am
making the hat example now.

Julie