[teacherartexchange] Great Photo Exhibit - Hiroshi Sugimoto - Japanese American

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 11:33:22 PST

Dear Art Educators,

This photo exhibit is a must see (for photo teachers).... and all, really.
http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/sugimoto/index.html

I enjoyed listening to him talk about the exhibit.

Hiroshi Sugimoto
[Japanese-born American Photographer, born in 1948]
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/sugimoto_hiroshi.html

8. Hirshhorn: Hiroshi Sugimoto
http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/sugimoto/
http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/sugimoto/index.html

This Web exhibition from the Smithsonian Institution Hirshhorn Museum
features series of photographs by Hiroshi Sugimoto, from 1976 to the
present, the entire span of his career. The majority of the photographs are
black and white, with the exception of the series Colors of Shadow, which
reveals, in the artist's words, "sublime variety in shadow hues." Another
series in the exhibition is Architecture, which are photographs showing
Sugimoto's "erosion-testing" of exceptional examples of modern
architecture, such as the Chrysler or Seagram Buildings. This is
accomplished by photographing the buildings using a large-format
camera, so that the images are blurred; only the best examples of
architecture hold up. Also fascinating is the Portraits series,
recreating 16th century portraits of Henry the 8th and his wives in
black and white photography. Although the
digital images of Sugimoto's photographs are not presented in a particularly
high-tech way, they are still worth a look. Visitors can also listen to
Hiroshi Sugimoto podcasts, including an exhibition tour and meet the artist
events. [DS]

From Scout Report - copyright 2006 - shared here with permission.
http://scout.wisc.edu/
Lesson idea.....

Do the nylon stocking and wire sculptures.... paint them white....
Take some dramatic Hiroshi Sugimoto inspired photos. Look at the
conceptual forms photographs.
http://www.hirshhorn.si.edu/sugimoto/forms/index.htm

Let me know if this inspires a lesson.... Folks often ask for lesson
plans for photography.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/