Re: [teacherartexchange] Too all who want a KIDS' "Frida Kahlo" video

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 19:58:43 PST

On Mar 2, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Judy Decker wrote:
> I agree, much of Frida's work is too mature of a theme for the younger
> kids. Even a video that is promoted for students (an eleven minute
> video) has material that is not appropriate.

I agree with Michal that it is a great movie, one of my favorites.
Not proper for most of my Middle School students. Yet when it
first came out there was a 15 minute preview of the movie on TV.
I used the preview in my classroom with no problems. Of course
I was in a different part of Kansas (urban area). We did a
vocabulary lesson around Frida. It was a silhouette of Frida's head
filled with vocabulary terms we learned. It was a good lesson even
if Bi-Sexual showed up in several posters. I still displayed them.
Good or bad, I seldom had any complaints or input from parents.
I suggested that students consult their parents if they wished to
see the movie. Years before, I remember taking our two boys to
Cabaret when it first came out. It was rated R as well, but very
educational.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net