Re: [teacherartexchange] TAB Choice generates IDEAS

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 06:29:32 PST

Hi Sheri and all,

> but what about the unmotivated kids or those who want to work,
> but can't think of ideas for themselves?

This is where you merge TAB Choice with DBAE.... but just know that
they won't all be doing the same artist or style... Kids develop their
own style and use their own inspirations. You can still provide them
with images to inspire. I was always inspired by an image I saw... all
of my best work began with an image somewhere. I will be honest with
you... I was an "idea factory" with my kids (I helped them brainstorm)
.... I tossed out ideas all the time - with a wink - hoping that those
who were stumped would latch on to some/one of them and take
ownership. Be aware that some of their ideas may not please you....
you can try to get them to stretch their ideas.... but never call
their ideas "pond scum" (grin - have chuckle if you see this Larry S).

Here is a page about generating IDEAS:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/ideas.htm

Check out some of the resources listed too - especially those posted
by Marvin Bartel. He sees what is good in Choice - knows what is good
in DBAE - and can merge the best of both. Marvin is opposed to the
image flooding so many of us DBAE-ers do.... He feels the art making
should come first - then the historical connections after - showing
comparisons between what the kids have done and what the masters have
done.

You also wrote:

>>>I did feel that my curriculum goals for that class were not being met.

I feel that the real goals were being met - the most important goals (smile).
If this is what you feel/felt - then the curriculum needs to be
examined more closely.

Thanks Sheri for bringing this discussion to Getty list.

Judy Decker