Re: [teacherartexchange] troubled 5th grade class

---------

From: Sheri Fried (sfried68_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 05:53:08 PST

I also had a tough 5th grade class last year. They
complained with every project, immediately gave up,
then acted up. I decided to choose only projects that
produced immediate positive results. I even began
using my 2nd and 3rd grade projects with them. My
units for 5th grade usually last 5-6 weeks, meeting
once per week. With this class, their attention
barely lasted 1-2 classes. So, I shortened my
projects so they would get quicker satisfaction and
less frustration and monotony.
I did feel that my curriculum goals for that class
were not being met. However, the students began to
feel successful and confident,a nd their behavior
changed, for the most part!
Good luck, Sheri