Re: [teacherartexchange] troubled 5th grade class

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 04:33:35 PST

Hi Julie and All,

My inclusion kids LOVED anything and everything 3-D.... I absolutely
adored my inclusion kids. Often, the severe behavior kids would earn
the privilege of coming to art class. It was a joy to have them.

Take a look at Lotte Petricone's Head dresses lesson....
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lotte-Headdress.htm

If I were you, I would work out a sample... see what works for you
(either start with a cardboard template - or the newspaper hat
approach). Once you have your hat made.. WEAR it in this class... When
they ask about it (and yes they will laugh at first).... tell them
what all it means to YOU... You will talk all about AFRICAN cultures
and their adornment.

If they don't seem interested, you will know not to try the lesson
with them. If they are interested... Say... "Well.... this will be our
next lesson... but I need everyone to participate and behave as this
lesson is very special to me." You will then display your hat on a wig
form as a constant reminder that they will do that next if they
continue to behave. I used 3-D to hook all of my "mischievous" kids.
Peer pressure helped to (elementary kids didn't do a lot of 3-D in my
district - so ALL kids "thirsted" for it).

Of course, if all they do is laugh... then you need to talk about how
it is disrespectful to laugh at a culture when you do not understand
them.... so the lesson will not be lost. It is a win-win. If you
decide not to do the lesson, at least YOU had a lot of fun making your
own personal hat. You could include all sorts of collage elements if
you wish. Lotte just used construction paper, newspaper - scissors
and glue.

I OFTEN tested the interest in the 3-D project by showing what I made first.
One sample was a bust with one group of students one year... but that
same sample was a HUGE hit a different year when I turned it into a
dance helmet. It was a large tiger head. I wish now I had saved it....
just so I could show you. I could only bring so much home when I
retired. My husband actually wrote the story to go along with my dance
helmet. My students loved it!!! I acted out/danced the story as I read
it to them... They all had to write a story and create a dance.

Judy Decker