Re: [teacherartexchange] troubled 5th grade class

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 19:17:36 PST

So you have a challenge on your hands, but it is not an impossible
situation. First, I would walk in tomorrow and tell them that starting with
today, clean slate. They all have A's, and it is their job to keep them. If
you want to know their names, I have a trick that I use yearly - even though
I have taught in my tiny school for 12 years now, I have a set of twins AND
a set of triplets that are identical and I still can't tell them apart, even
after 5-6 years with them! So I have portfolios that they keep their artwork
in - 18x24" tagboard folded in 1/2 with their names printed large across the
top. I pass these out at the beginning of class and since the portfolios are
now on the table in front of them I can see at a glance who is who.
Next thing is you need to hook them. Find out their interests, and then tie
in a really cool lesson to go with it. Kids love perspective, so show them
how to draw a simple perspective drawing. Until you have control of them I
would focus on modeling your lessons. I have found that the middle school
years students begin to lose their confidence and this may be why they are
acting up. So spend time showing them how to draw things, enableing them all
to be successful. I just did a lesson on foreshortening (it will go up this
weekend sometime) that turned out awesome. If you show them how to be
successful, they will begin to trust you.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids