Re: [teacherartexchange] TAB Choice -Teaching for Artistic Behavior

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 12:16:32 PST

Hi Sheri and all,

Teaching for Artistic Behavior Choice is the name for an art
philosophy that was around long before DBAE. I grew up in a program
that was Choice in middle school and high school.

There are many resources for TAB Choice on this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/TAB-CHOICE.htm

Students CAN learn about Matisse and his paper cuts in a Choice
classroom, too.... they just wouldn't be making work "in the style of"
Matisse. They might look at different types of collage that you have
printed off and placed at their center (Bearden, Matisse, Picasso,
Surreal for examples). You would discuss the different sources of
ideas the various artists had. You might introduce the medium of
collage to the entire group when you first open up the center. You
would have a "menu" at the center with some brief guidelines for using
the center. (I think there are some menu images in the TAB Choice list
serve site - you will have to join to see them)

After the art making - periodically, you would have a "museum day" (I
liked Kathy Douglas's 5 minute Museum - art on a clothes line). You
would show examples of the student work and then compare them to the
historic exemplars you selected. What artist was most like Johnie's
work?
Show how Johnie also used life experiences or family for inspiration
just like Bearden.... Susie made organic shapes like Matisse....Bill's
work is more geometric - maybe more like Picasso. Students do NOT copy
artists. They use their own ideas... Then you can show how master
artists had similar ideas.

Your center would include a number of collage materials. Students are
given some guidance..... they are just not talk to make a collage in
the style of Matisse, Picasso, Bearden, or a Surreal... They use their
own ideas.... Then you can draw comparisons.

What I have just described is a way to MERGE Choice with DBAE. YOU can
STILL present your favorite artists for the students to become
familiar with. The students may not choose to be inspired by them...
They will LEARN from the artists and the idea making processes of the
artists.

Kathy Douglas is pretty busy right now... but she may reply with
corrections/additions to what I have just described.

From now on, when I post a lesson update/addition to Incredible Art
Department, I will add a short "blurb" about how the lesson might be
used in a Choice classroom. Choice teachers still write lesson
plans.... they just take on a different look.

I was a DBAE teacher (as well as Multicultural, Visual Culture, Brain
Based......Interdisciplinary.... all the buzz words). I provided
choices within my lessons. I didn't have all different units/centers
going at the same time. If I were teaching now? I would look very
closely at implementing Choice. I do know that students are more
motivated when given choices.

Regards,

Judy Decker