Re: [teacherartexchange] HS teenaged boys

---------

From: Kristina Rost (mhamster_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 11:03:41 PST

on 3/1/06 12:37 PM, Marvin Bartel at marvinpb@goshen.edu wrote:

>> on 3/1/06 7:55 AM, Rebecca Burch at mamallama@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have all these teenage boys...
>>
>> I have a several boys who I have trouble "hooking" and reeling in to do art
>> projects. I suspect they are in my class rather than study hall...a captive
>> audience.
>>
>> I did notice some life yesterday when I introduced altered books, but after
>> some thought I have a niggling suspicion about the enthusiasm of the boys.
>> MY girls bounded off to the library for discards...and made plans to car
>> pool to Hobby Lobby...[ I was preening at such enthusiasm for art]
>>
>> Yesterday glued the edges of the books together weighing down the glued
>> books with every heavy object in the building... with the intent of
>> hollowing out the book...I had an example which was innocent and lovely.
>>
>> I am not sure the intent of the lads is so innocent.
>>
>> I don't really know how to get them on something...without pulling on the
>> nose thru the ring effort...
>>
>> Kristina
>> in her 8th week of HS art
>
> Kristina,
>
> You are making some astute observations. This has potential--both good and
> bad.
>
> Many artists have created great art under the influence of hormones and
> desire. According to a story told by one of his students, soon after he moved
> from Montana to California, Peter Voulkos was doing a potter's wheel
> demonstration for a group of visiting coeds from a nearby college. He became
> so motivated and animated that he invented abstract expressionist ceramics on
> the spot in the presence of the coeds.
>
> I had a high school boy who attended faithfully, but never lifted a finger to
> do any artwork. ... I asked him why he now wanted to
> work, he said, "My girl friend is in the this class." He worked every day for
> the remainder of the semester.

Yes I have a couple who exude hearts and cupids with every glance...I am
thinking what project can I get these two, like my husband and myself
wallpapering the bathroom, which will give an accurate picture of the
realities of marriage...heh heh heh.

> Young males have a strong need for attention and admiration. Art projects
> provide a healthy way to show off.

My principal has wisely counseled that the temperature/attitude of my class
environment is governed by the strong males... which is why at first when
they took to the book boxes I was so excited.

> Like fire, animal instincts can be very
> useful, but also very dangerous. My advice is to use them and exploit them
> knowingly as ART motivation, but keep very careful watch. Have an experienced
> teacher with whom to discuss details. Many teachers have lost their careers
> and more because of poor judgement.

Are you referring to my mentioning the boys making book boxes to hide...what
I hope is only their iPod...as dangerous and possibly crossing a line?

Kristina
who has appreciated your website Marvin, and has observational drawing for
15 of my 83 min every class.