Re: [teacherartexchange] cool new twist on still life???

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 03:06:35 PST

I agree. Before my middle school students proceed with still life ideas, we
look at Wayne Thiebauds, Paul Cezannes, David Hockney's, Vincent Van
Gogh's, and some others. We list strategies the artists use to be visually
expressive. I remind them that while photographic realism was valued at
one stage of our history, it's now used as a jumping-off point. Still life
strategies include:
transformation of an object, a la surrealism; placing objects where they
don't belong; enlarging a portion of one object and using it as background
for the rest; finding a pattern (basketweaving, cloth) in the still life
and using it as "wallpaper", as well as the expressive use of line, color,
and shape. Before mine started with their drawings, they had to think of a
theme (which is different than their subject). So one group thought "brute
force" and they are using sports equipment. It will be interesting to see
if they use short, choppy strokes with their oil pastels!

Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net