sgraffito tiles--help!

---------

From: Holly Kingman (baaaramu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 12:23:27 PST

Hi,
I am trying to put together a lesson doing tiles in red clay, with sgraffito decoration using white clay slip. (This is for elementary) I did this years ago (when I was a student actually), and am not sure exactly how to do it. Does anybody have any helpful hints? Does the clay need to be leather hard? What tools are used for filling in with the slip? And is there an easy way to clean up the excess slip? Has anyone done this with a class as young as fourth grade? I started a sample, and mine isn't that great, so I am getting a little worried! Thanks for any advice.

Holly