Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Retirement and careers

Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 19:33:42 PST

In a message dated 3/30/2005 7:57:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

> Marsha, some day I would like to work for hospice. It's anything but
> morbid. Nice life story there, girl!

You can get your feet wet by training as a hospice volunteer. These
wonderful people gave the families of our patients respite where they could get out
and enjoy a few hours.

I couldn't help but feel stressed this week over the Terry Shiavo issue
because I have a visual image of what is going on there. I can't imagine how her
nurses are coping with it. Hospice has support teams where the nurses can vent
and cry and unload. It is a very emotionally draining but rewarding job. During
those years, I could hardly create art. There was nothing left at the end of
the day to muster up my creative juices.