RE: Retirement and careers

---------

From: Elizabeth Adams Marks (eaamarks1956_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 14:10:05 PST

Greetings from Illinois. After a career as a freelance illustrator for
educational publishers since the late 1970's, I returned to school in
2002 to get a degree in art education. As a result, I have already
surpassed all of my expectations! I was so fearful of returning to
school after all these years that a friend actually drove me to the door
of the university to apply. I've been teaching art at a private school
for the past four years and K-adult Christian education for the past
eight years, but I didn't think I could compete in today's university
environment.

In December 2006, I will be graduating from Southern Illinois University
Edwardsville with a BFA, specializing in handmade paper, with a K-12 Art
Education Teaching Certification. During this school term, I was
fortunate to have my grant proposal accepted by SIUE to make handmade
paper from the Crops of Madison County (Illinois). They accept 15
Undergrad Research Scholars into the program per year. My research on
thirteen crops has been compiled into an edition of six, boxed sets of
thirteen handmade books, which included the recipes/formulas, general
information, and paper samples. The boxed sets will be presented this
spring to the Missouri Botanical Garden's library in St. Louis; the Eden
Project in Cornwall, England; the Paper Discovery Museum of the
Industrial Papermaking Hall of Fame in Appleton, Wisconsin; and SIUE.
With a VERY supportive husband, I've been able to maintain my 4.0, was
recently installed into the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, and will be
presented at SIUE's Honor's convocation as the Phi Kappa Phi Undergrad
Scholarship recipient for 2005-2006.

I'll be 49 on May 3. We old dogs may not be as fast, but we can outlast
the young pups! ;-)

Cheers,
Elizabeth in Edwardsville, IL

---