RE: Elliott Eisner

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 06:23:04 PST

He was the 2005 Grawemeyer Award for Education recipient at the University
of Louisville - the Fine Arts Department had a reception for him and then he
gave some comments -
I couldn't stay which was unfortunate (but for some reason my 12 year old
didn't understand the importance of the visit and really wanted me to see
his first game of the volleyball championship - and he will always call me
mom - so he won - but then he lost).

It was a very small group of people - I only saw three other classroom
teachers - university people, museum people - maybe a group of 30...
I really hate attacking people and waited quietly to just say thank you for
your work - (validates what my gut feeling tells me is right) -

I had a better talk with his wife about education and classrooms -
journaling/reflective writing.. a vertical team I work with and what I do as
a writing mentor for our teachers to incorporate art into their
instruction/assessment, she was very nice.

to tell you the truth - I just wanted to shake his hand.. and I did.

As far as not recognizing him - I didn't when I first got there, still
thinking of an older photo... so I really lost a good opportunity because
there were only three people in the room.....

Ellen