Re: Ken Schwab is doing better - Why important to send work for tribute poster

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 10:48:54 PST

When I was in the trauma unit it was so encouraging for me to get cards
and encouragement from this group. I couldn't respond but I did know
what I received and it increased my energy and prompted me to do the
improvement work required. It does take lots of energy to make the
improvement effort. The energy comes from gifts like notes from this
group. It is more important than sending the usual birthday or get
well card. It is life giving to our colleague. Kin was one who
encouraged me in my recovery.

If they are expecting 90% recovery for Kin that is excellent news. I
have been graded 50 % recovered and I feel fortunate to be functioning
on such a high level. 10% disability is hardly noticeable. It may
take a long time to get there. He has lots of hard work ahead of him.
I think it was harder work than going to class and teaching 5 days a
week and it goes on 24-7.

Fortunately in the past 10 years the knowledge available for
recuperating from this trauma has skyrocketed and Kin has the drive to
do the healing work. When I was in the years of therapy I was aware
that it was the drive to do the work when the help was offered that
made the difference in the people who improved and the ones who didn't.
  Of course sometime the injury destroys the part of the brain that
stimulates the drive to improve.

Kin is indeed fortunate when you consider what could have been.

Sharon ~ NJ

On Tuesday, March 29, 2005, at 08:10 AM, Judith Decker wrote:

> Greetings Art Educators,
> I heard from Ken's wife. He is doing much better.
<snip>
> Remember to send Jackie Brewer your samples of student
> work from lessons you have done inspired by Ken -
> whether you saw the work on his site or lesson from
> Incredible Art Department. The idea is to show how Ken
> touches lives beyond his classroom.

---