PayPalContacted ~ recognizing legitimate email

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 13:41:31 PST

This information about recognizing legitimate email can be transfered
to other span and hoax. Companies that you have an account with will
reach you in a secured route and by your name. If it is applicable to
anyone instead of personally to you DELETE!

If you have inherited a bag full of money a lawyer will get in touch
with you by letter not a vague email letter.

When I get an email with a request to "send this to everyone on my list
it is so important" I look to see if there is a finish date and or an
email or website contact supplied. If it is just an email I try it to
see if it is still active.

We with big hearts can keep these kind of emails spreading around the
CY Space.

I am still curious how a span has accomplished getting itself on our
list so it can post to us on ArtsEdNet ;<) These are coming through to
us from ArtsEdNet rather than our addresses being picked up from off
the list and sent to us personally. Am I right?
Sharon ~NJ
~~~~~
I also contacted paypal (spoof@paypal.com), they gave me some good
recommendations regarding paypal accounts:

* Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last
name or the business name associated with your PayPal account.
Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or
"Dear PayPal Member".
* Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an
attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent
emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise
your PayPal account.
* Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you,
we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the
information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your
PayPal account.
Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name,
account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social
Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake
website), please forward the email (or URL address) to spoof@paypal.com
and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or
attachments in a suspicious email.

---