Re: mosaics

---------

From: Ruth Campbell (rcampbell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 04:47:06 PST

MerylWeber@aol.com on Sunday, March 27, 2005 at 11:17 AM +0000 wrote:
>Ruth I read your post about firing mosaics on glazed tiles. I was
>wondering if you are using mosaic tiles, glass or broken pottery. Do you
>glue the pieces on and then fire them?
> Thanks for your help Meryl Weber
Hi Mary, and all who have inquired

Not glue, but clear glaze, sort of used as glue-
-I'm using clay tile pieces the students have made and have had success in
having them fire attach themselves in a cone 05 firing to the glazed
commercial tiles AND to used dinner plates, even some w/ chipped edges,
covered w/mosaics the kids have made. Haven't tried the commercial
mosaic pieces, but will next.

I wanted my younger students to have a mosaic experience, but did not have
time, or $$ to invest in mastic or grout and didn't think the materials
were that safe, particularly for younger kids.

Everyone seems to have mismatched dinner plates to "donate', so my
thoughts were that it could really be a big budget booster if it worked.
I have put a dab of Amaco clear glaze on each piece and fire to cone 05.
My husband who is a potter cautions that for expansion the two parts
need to be compatible, but as long as I'm firing at a lower temp, it
seems to work.

One last note-- another experiment I'm happy to pass on=
If you put a "skim coat" of Amaco LLG clear on commercial ( bathroom or
kitchen white cheap tiles) 4 X 4's or whatever has been donated, and fire
them to
cone 05, they will come out with a frosted kind of surface, no more slick
shine, and they are then PERFECT for underglazing , and then recoating w/
a new coat
of clear. I find that I am offered many of these tiles at the end of a
home improvement job-- I finally took the time to experiment w/ what
they might
be able to do. These are a wonderful free budget supplement, far cheaper
than the best catalog buy. Of course you could purchase the larger
commercial tiles
--still cheap at less than $1. for a 8 X 8.

That's it for now------Please share anything new you learn w/ me?

---