Insect Art - compiled on IAD

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 10:25:59 PST

Greetings Jean and all,

I compiled the best of the sites posted when Justin
asked for 2-D insect art. The links are on the
Art/Science lesson page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Rousseau.htm
You will find a lesson for close-up bugs for
elementary. The 3-D collage could be done with bugs
and leaves, too...Also see the bugs eye garden view
idea.

There is a middle school lesson plan on
positive/nagative space that uses bugs....and there is
a lesson idea on Larry Prescott's radial design lesson
to use bug collections.

Last year I came up with a lot of insect lesson ideas
for the member who was working for Upward Bound....but
unfortunately, they didn't use any of the
resources/ideas I submitted. The teacher they hired
did his/her own thing....which is what I told him to
do in the first place (smile)...oh well. I don't have
all of the lesson ideas and links I sent him. I
deleted my sent mail from that time. I don't need more
of my ideas on IAD - I want to see work using my ideas
on the site. Of course the promised lessons and
student work from Upward Bound integrating
art-science-math never came..... I don't mind sharing
- I enjoy it...but it does bother me when I spend
hours helping someone then none of my help is used.

In answer to your question Jean, one of my favorite
elementary lessons I have seen were huge paper mache
insects done by third graders. These were at least 2
to 3 feet in size. The praying mantises were the best
- very cool. The teacher used an article in
Smithsonian for inspiration - huge wood carved
insects. I have forgotten the artist's name and
couldn't find it on line last year doing a quickie
search.

Here is a good lesson plan fo rpapaer mache bugs:
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/ythfacts/bugfun/papermch.htm
The teacher who made the huge bugs used newspapers for
armature - here they suggest a variety of balloons.
Lots of bug resources:
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/ythfacts/resourc/resourc.htm
University of Kentucky Department of Entomology - for
Kids:
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/ythfacts/entyouth.htm

Paper mache artists to check for inspiration:
http://www.papiermache.co.uk/exec/cms-links/

Some images of insect sculptures can be found in
Google images.

If anyone makes paper mache insects, send me an image
for the science page - no lesson plan ecessary.

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/