bugs

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 09:28:58 PST

I have been once again reading my Home Medical Encyclopedia, trying to
figure out why I blew my stack at a person I love, yesterday. I remember my
dad used to call me a nitwit. I didn't know it then, but I had a case of
nits, otherwise known as lice. My medical encyclopedia calls them
Rickettsial diseases and there's a whole bunch of them, including typhus,
Rocky-Mountain Spotted Fever, Q-fever, Rickettsial Pox and Trench Fever.
Then I began thinking about Doc Ricketts and John Steinbeck on their travels
to find biological samples. Who can forget Cannery Row, one of the great
novels of all times. Maybe Doc Ricketts wasn't just a collector of
biological samples and a drunk. Now grown, we can read between the lines.
The kids have to deal with bugs, lice and so on, without fear. My master
teacher let them make great big bugs to hang from the ceiling in the
hallways of the school. What's your idea?

Jean Womack

---