Born into Brothels documentary

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 20:40:06 PST

Regarding the recent discussion of photographers:
I saw the documentary Born into Brothels yesterday, a fantastic film
about an American woman who gave cameras to children born of prostitutes
in Calcutta, and how she has nurtured them. The film follows a core
group as they go about their chaotic lives, with photography being a
stablizing factor. While they all display talent, one boy, Avijit, has
an incredible eye and was invited to attend an international workshop in
Amsterdam. They talk very intelligently about their choices of subject
matter and which frames they prefer; they are all around 10-14 years old.

There is a Web site: http://www.kids-with-cameras.org but it's not
nearly as cool as the film.

Maggie

---