Part time or retirement/ Retired art teachers--seeking opinions on retirement

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 18:38:32 PST

Carolyn,
I shared a job with a colleague for 3 years and the way we solved the
problem of staying in school all day was making the schedule so we
alternated days and on one day we were there 1/2 time overlapping so we
could plan together. This gave us full whole days for our own
activity, Whole days focus when we were at school and one day focus
when we worked together. Another time I shared a job with a teacher and
we were both 3 day teachers. One day overlapped to work together.

One thing to consider is how the part time will impact your retirement.
  If the percentage is based on your highest years or your last years
makes a big difference.

  In my district we had to be scheduled for 55 % or higher to be
eligible for benefits.

I really liked the part time work. I had reduced to 4 days the last 3
years before I retired. I was in the smallest school in the district
so all the classes could be scheduled in 4 days. I loved it. I had
every Friday off.

There are so many possibilities but it depends on how your district is
set up. Be creative and let the personal folks see what can be
arranged.

Sharon ~ NJ

Begin forwarded message:
> My husband is concerned that I will end up staying at school all day,
> but I KNOW that I won't.  If the approval doesn't go though, I will
> retire in June.
> Carolyn Roberts

---