Re: Sharing ideas

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 18:19:00 PST

Fran Legman wrote:
> There are about a dozen of us
> (mostly elementary and a few middle school). We meet the third Thursday of
> each month at 4:00 for a pot luck and wine at one of our homes. We bring
> student's samples of projects we are proud of. We take turns and quickly
> discuss the history, culture, production, etc. The rest of us take digital
> photos for reference.........
> We are mostly from different districts (although I just brought in a great
> teacher from mine- teaches the same level as me). I can't describe the
> wealth of information I receive. Its like Judy's site come alive.

It sounds like a marvelous group, and going on so long, my
congratulations to all of you. By sharing your experiences
you may have set in motion the seeds of many other
groups elsewhere........ But, a BIG BUT....
Where are your art supervisors, your administrators, where
is the leadership in your districts to provide relevant
inservice and support. What a shame, your school board
should be made aware of your success and their failure
to provide support.

My last three years in my district my job was as lead art teacher
to help our art supervisor (who was over worked) with things
like inservices. Our district art staff (about 45) met together
twice every nine weeks to share ideas and become informed on
new developments. For that matter every building in the district
sent students home early every wednesday to provide staff
development within each building. In most professions the
workers meet to discuss progress, to maintain and improve skills,
why not in schools. Teachers who remain in isolation will
continue on the same course and not grow.

Congrats to you and your fellow teachers, Shame on your
administration and your school board.

                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons