Re: Subbing

---------

From: Anne Rose-Phillips (arosephillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 13:19:14 PST

So far I've subbed for Math, Science and PE more than for art, so being
an art sub would be a welcome step up!

But each high school here now has 1 art teacher for 1500-1800 students
& 2 have said their dept has constantly been cut, so I don't think
there is even such a thing as an art sub. One MS I went to, the art
teacher didn't have an art endorsement, just an interest in it, so I am
not sure about the state of art education in Oregon...
anne

On Mar 23, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> Anne Rose-Phillips wrote:
>
>> I really look forward to the relationship aspect of having my "own"
>> room, as I think that is the most critical factor for me. But subbing
>> is very educational!
>> Anne

> Yes Anne,
> Subbing is very educational. My first year of teaching
> was as a contract art sub in my district. 75 % of the days were
> spent covering some art teacher at a variety of levels. I came
> away from that year with a wealth of ideas. I also got to try
> out lessons of my own on students, and if they didn't work out
> well I was not going to be back anyway. A worthwhile year that
> I'm so, so glad I did not have to repeat. When I retired, 28
> years later, it was a contract art sub that was moved into my
> position. Good luck on landing a permanent position.
> Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

---