Re: Retired art teachers--seeking opinions on retirement

---------

From: KATHY TROTT (KATHY_TROTT_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 05:03:15 PST

ditto, lia...
I have moved from state to state and for various reasons will probably
work until they carry me out feet first. Sometimes I can't believe they
pay me (albeit not much) for having so much fun (only sometimes!). I
think it was Col. Garland Sanders who said, "I would rather wear out
than rust out". Teaching keeps me vital, so as long as I can, I
will...Kathy

>>> johnsolia@sbcglobal.net 03/23/05 09:59PM >>>
Ok....I am going to stick my foot in there where it might not belong.
Let
me say first that I am not retired. I am 53 years old. Nor am I a
teacher
who has had enough permanence in one district or place to consider
retirement when many friends my age are. So maybe I am just having this

viewpoint because I will have to work long past normal retirement
age. That is, if I am lucky enough to have the health and stamina to
do
that....and if I can keep my job. Never-the-less....I think a great
deal
about this topic and aging in general.

I do think the decision "to retire or not to retire" must be based on
"know thyself" basis as well as an economical basis. For some people,

Woody is a great example ...it is perfect....and I have seen others
where
it is not. No amount of advice, good or not, can or should replace
this
type of inward looking. Our personalities and personality types, our
interests, our support groups and communities, our families and
friends,
our health, our financial status, as well as all of our former life
experiences effect both how we age and how we retire. The advice you
have
been given here is good and solid....but it comes from someone else's
life
experiences. It is those experiences that drive much of what we are
and
how we behave. They effect how we get old and how we retire. Most of
the
people whom I have observed do it successfully.. .. have laid a careful

foundation and plan long before they have that retirement party.
Inward
looking is not easy thing and of course all of this murky stuff is what

makes the journey interesting ...whether you retire now or wait a bit
longer.

Respectfully, lia

---
KATHY_TROTT@charleston.k12.sc.us