Re: Retired art teachers--seeking opinions on retirement

---------

From: lia (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 18:59:50 PST

Ok....I am going to stick my foot in there where it might not belong. Let
me say first that I am not retired. I am 53 years old. Nor am I a teacher
who has had enough permanence in one district or place to consider
retirement when many friends my age are. So maybe I am just having this
viewpoint because I will have to work long past normal retirement
age. That is, if I am lucky enough to have the health and stamina to do
that....and if I can keep my job. Never-the-less....I think a great deal
about this topic and aging in general.

I do think the decision "to retire or not to retire" must be based on a
"know thyself" basis as well as an economical basis. For some people,
Woody is a great example ...it is perfect....and I have seen others where
it is not. No amount of advice, good or not, can or should replace this
type of inward looking. Our personalities and personality types, our
interests, our support groups and communities, our families and friends,
our health, our financial status, as well as all of our former life
experiences effect both how we age and how we retire. The advice you have
been given here is good and solid....but it comes from someone else's life
experiences. It is those experiences that drive much of what we are and
how we behave. They effect how we get old and how we retire. Most of the
people whom I have observed do it successfully.. .. have laid a careful
foundation and plan long before they have that retirement party. Inward
looking is not easy thing and of course all of this murky stuff is what
makes the journey interesting ...whether you retire now or wait a bit longer.

Respectfully, lia

---