Re: High School: drawing in a crowded room

---------

From: CarobPod Designs (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 17:11:52 PST

I have a full classroom, too...my students sit 4 to a table. They choose
items and set them up in the middle of their table...then either draw with
paper flat on table, or use drawing board and back up a bit...not much,
though. Also, I have a smaller table set up at the end of each table and
they can set up a still life there and leave it until completion...and still
have room to use a light (on stand).

I have also using a rolling cart for setups that I can move to the center of
all the tables in middle of room...and then I can move it out of the way at
the end of the class.

Carolyn

> Hi everyone. This is for the high school teachers. I have a beginning
> drawing class that is rocking down the house this semester. They are so
> good at observational drawing that I have skipped over some exercises and
> am already at still life. However, I have a room full of 28 students.
> Usually I set up 4 different fairly complex still lifes around the room
> and let them move around to draw from them. For complex still life, the
> set-ups need to stay where they are for a number of weeks. I have almost
> no space for that this time. I do have one large counter but 28 kids can't
> crowd around one set up. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing a
> complex still life in a crowded classroom?
> Pam Wellington
> Dept. Chair Art
> Boiling Springs High School
> Boiling Springs, PA