Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Surreal Still life - lesson idea

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 14:18:29 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I was just leafing through my new Smithsonian
Magazine... Great article on Dali.

I saw this "new to me" work called "Still Life - Fast
You can order a high quality print of this image.

Here is info on the work:

Here is the lesson idea.... Students can create their
own kind of surreal still life from magazine collage -
then render the collage as realistically as they can -
adding in shadows/highlights to enhance - using pencil
- or colored pencils (or whatever medium they choose).

More Dali Still life to locate:
Still Life by the Light of the Moon
Some early Dali still life:
Enter Dali still life in Google images for more.

Larry Prescott recently finished a Surreal collage
lesson for landscapes:

I like a lot of the details as compositions. I think
it would be great to see some of his students try some
renderings of these....

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?
Make Yahoo! your home page