Surreal Still life - lesson idea

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 14:18:29 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I was just leafing through my new Smithsonian
Magazine... Great article on Dali.

I saw this "new to me" work called "Still Life - Fast
Moving:
http://www.3d-dali.com/Tour/natura.htm
You can order a high quality print of this image.

Here is info on the work:
http://salvadordalimuseum.org/collection/classic/nature_morte_vivante.php

Here is the lesson idea.... Students can create their
own kind of surreal still life from magazine collage -
then render the collage as realistically as they can -
adding in shadows/highlights to enhance - using pencil
- or colored pencils (or whatever medium they choose).

More Dali Still life to locate:
Still Life by the Light of the Moon
Some early Dali still life:
http://salvadordalimuseum.org/collection/peroid_early.php
Enter Dali still life in Google images for more.

Larry Prescott recently finished a Surreal collage
lesson for landscapes:
http://mms.d321.k12.id.us/webart/html/student%20work/surrcolla.html

I like a lot of the details as compositions. I think
it would be great to see some of his students try some
renderings of these....

Regards,

Judy Decker