Re: High School: fun alternate assignment

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 10:56:49 PST

Good idea...

Here is a fun alternate idea - Abstract Modulated
Values:
http://www.bcsc.k12.in.us/northhs/art/gallerydrawing2.htm

From Bob Pulley:

The abstract modulated values project as illustrated
has changed a bit. We ask the students to draw 6 or 8
"symbols", actually simple outline images, on
computer paper (4" or so). Next these are transfered
to tracing paper the same size as the finished paper.
Before doing so we talk about the idea of ambiguity.
Its not the idea of hiding the subject really, but we
encourage the student to only use some of the lines of
their drawing, break it up leave it imcomplete and add
some transitional lines. When there is a nice
composition of moving, rhythmic lines the tracing
paper is placed under the drawing on a light box and
the lines traced. Then we work toward modulated
values both inside and outside of the symboli shapes,
increasing the sense of abstraction and ambiguity.
I asked Bob if I could put this lesson on IAD...so it
will be coming soon. I just can't decide which image
to use. I like them all. Connect this lesson to
Pre-Columbian art - African Art and art of Keith
Haring and Paul Klee. Many good examples for Klee come
up when you do a Google image search.

Judy Decker