Re: Retired art teachers--seeking opinions on retirement

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 10:39:11 PST

Hi Irene and Linda,
   Welcome to the retirees club! I have no regrets. My career was 35 years
and I loved teaching! Started planning my retirement several years before
the actual date. Woody has given excellent advice. Another quote I've
heard is..."Don't retire unless you have something to retire to!" My
activities are among the following:
   Once a week for half an hour--reading to children at Head Start.
   Once a week volunteering at two libraries at The Ohio State University.
   Studying French with a tutor ( a school mom put me up to this!) and at
OSU.
   Taking art courses at OSU through Program 60.
   Gardening, going to movies, reading good books, taking walks when I want
to! I also have an excellent exercise program with a personal trainer and
swim at the YMCA.
   I can now follow my biological clock for sleeping. I am a night owl, so
it may be after midnight before I settle-in for the night, then I sleep til
9 AM--oh so delicious!

   What I recommend you do is make a daily/weekly schedule grid. Put in
activities requiring standing appointments--keep them simple and sparse,
then allow the rest of your time to be free for "serendipity" moments.
Don't overbook yourself. Also, you will have time to notice that it takes
longer for you do things. :-) The ole bod starks squalking in bits and
pieces after the ripe age of 50. Let it. You don't have to be anywhere for
duty or staff meeting, do you? Always make sure when you go to bed at night
that you have something worthwhile looking forward to in the morning!
   Our retirement program in Ohio is run by State Teachers Retirement
System. They provide us with lots of good planning materials. Give me a
couple of weeks and I will post some of the suggestions they give to
teachers planning for retirement.

                   Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                   Art teacher, K-5, retired

I am interested in hearing from those who retired from the classroom after a
30 year career and if they are glad they did--or have regrets. If this
topic is not appropriate for this list, you can e-mail me off-list.

Thank you!

Irene

---