RE: High School: drawing in a crowded room

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 10:06:14 PST

Not high school, and may not work... but why does it have to be large scale?
I shared on the list one time that I taught an after school class and we
couldn't leave up a still life - the kids had to bring in 5 items in a shoe
box, at the time I called it a texture still life - 5 items varying
size/mass, texture... they set up their shoe box when drawing and they put
them away when we had to clean up - maybe a large still life for some and
they can rotate between small and large -
Ellen

Subject: High School: drawing in a crowded room

Hi everyone. This is for the high school teachers. I have a beginning
drawing class that is rocking down the house this semester. They are so good

at observational drawing that I have skipped over some exercises and am
already at still life. However, I have a room full of 28 students. Usually
I set up 4 different fairly complex still lifes around the room and let them

move around to draw from them. For complex still life, the set-ups need to
stay where they are for a number of weeks. I have almost no space for that
this time. I do have one large counter but 28 kids can't crowd around one
set up. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing a complex still life in
a crowded classroom?
Pam Wellington
Dept. Chair Art
Boiling Springs High School