Re: Pushing Quality

---------

Aartteachr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 08:53:35 PST

In a message dated 3/23/2005 7:18:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
austart@bryanisd.org writes:

> " What would it look like if you did this?" I have also done this, when I
> tell them it is 4th or 5th grade approach (and they do not wish to bring up
> the level of expectations) then they get the 4o or 50. But it is my work,
> "Yes, but it is not the objective expectations

This has been the biggest hurdle in high school. In the name of creative free
expression, which I do not want to suppress, I always need discernment as to
whether that statement is from laziness, or fear of failure. Most of the time,
the student just wants to quit...soooo, I have rubrics to stretch them and
the grading is clear. Do they read them? Ah... most only briefly consult them so
I also post a copy and it is their responsibility to check. I tell them,
"Yes, I may seem picky but it is your success I am interested in. You have much
more to give than this and in the end you will feel good about yourself".

Marsh in Orlando, FL

---