Re: Retired art teachers--seeking opinions on retirement

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 08:52:18 PST

Irene,
        This is my topic and no regrets. I'm sure there
are lots of others on the list reaching retirement. I
decided I would not hang on forever but rather go out
at the top of my game as an athlete would say. I loved
teaching art. I was in the same Middle School for 27 years.
I retired two years ago, but stayed on in a consultation
capacity for the district one additional year. Then we moved
to New Mexico where I always went each June to paint.
        As my cuz in Colorado told me (a retired teacher too)
"you will wonder when you ever had time to work". I've
always admired the job Docents did, so I'm in training
to be a Docent at the Albuquerque Museum. I'm finding it's
really a free education with lectures by real experts it
various fields of art and art history. I'm getting back
into painting (watercolors) by becoming active in my
adopted states watercolor society. I'm also taking a
course in Chinese painting techniques. Of course there
is getting the new backyard in shape. Besides plantings,
I'm building a water feature from pots I bought yesterday.
        Many of us could go on and on, but the important
thing is to pursue your passion and your interests.
A major word of advice is learn what my 94 year old Aunt
taught me. Find the old people's discounts. On Tuesday
the fabric store gives a senior discount, (my wife makes quilts)
on Wednesday it's the nursery where we buy plants (15% off).
We go the movies each Wednesday for 75 cents. Four museums
in Santa Fe are free to New Mexico residents on Sunday.
Of course it helps that my wife's retirement came with
paid up health insurance and free long distance.
        You will love retirement if you go after it with
the same passion as teaching, but at a slower pace. We
even have time to walk now and soak in the hot tub.
        Go for it girl - Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703