Re: Pushing Quality

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 07:00:49 PST

I'm not sure how to push quality if you are only the
sub for a few days. I was able to do it as their art
teacher day in and day out. You must first gain the
students trust and respect. When they know that you
really know what you are doing you can push. They will
go beyond the basic to try and please you then. Of
course you can't expect it in one quick step. You
must nudge them along in small sequential steps.
When you get your own class it will be possible to
push your students, but gently at first. They are
all capable of some marvelous work. Your job is
in being the director to show them the way.
                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Anne Rose-Phillips wrote:
> Hello
> As a newly licensed teacher, I have been subbing a lot & so am wondering
> about this with students who are new to me as well as ones I know better.
>
> How do you get the kids to work longer, take more care, etc in order to
> produce "better" art work?

> I tend to not want to actually draw on their paper, but I do walk around
> & look at/ talk about what they're doing.

I agree, don't touch their work. But you can demo on scraps of
paper next to their work. Many will want you to help them more
by touching their work. I got by telling them that it was against
state law, in Kansas, for a teacher to mark on a students work.
If they wished it changed they should write the Governor or
their state representatives. I don't know of any who did.

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703