Re: Pushing Quality

---------

From: lia (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 06:33:52 PST

I think everyone's suggestions are helpful ....especially keeping
expectations high....but...I subbed for a year recently and that playing
field can be really challenging. I hadn't subbed in 20 years and even that
side of our profession has changed though I suspect it depends on where you
are. One of the main and HUGE differences is that when you have your own
classes and program it is possible to establish a relationship with
students (not to mention parents and administrators). From that
relationship things such as high expectations can really influence student
performance. Without that relationship and without students being
accountable to you....ah...it is just a lot tougher. Maybe not impossible
but definitely tougher. Establishing relationships with students where
trust is created...and humor understood for example ...is the most
important and most rewarding part of teaching. The job is still tough
then...but it is more likely that you can motivate students to meet your
expectations and learn their own potential. My advice in the interim is to
do what works the best for you in terms of getting students to do their
best --while still staying afloat yourself ....try some of the suggestions
given here....and learn as much as you can from being in other peoples
classrooms. You never get that chance again and it is a great opportunity
to get to see what others in our profession do. Best of luck... lia

At 10:07 PM 3/22/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello
>As a newly licensed teacher, I have been subbing a lot & so am wondering
>about this with students who are new to me as well as ones I know better.
>
>How do you get the kids to work longer, take more care, etc in order to
>produce "better" art work?
>
>For example, yesterday I taught a "Scientific Illustration" class of 7/8's
>and most of their drawings looked like 4/5's work (and there was some great

---