Re: Pushing Quality

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 04:17:44 PST

Anne,
This is one of the hardest things I still have to work with
even after 20 years. I do push my students. I show them before
had what a failing expectations are and successful expectations.
 This does not always work. I have found that adding a rubic in
addition to this helps sometimes. Someone on this list posted
something a while back that responded the the statement "IS THIS
GOOD ENOUGH". I made a poster out of it and will send to you.
I can only tell you that I keep pushing by walking around and
asking questions such as " What would it look like if you did
this?" I have also done this, when I tell them it is 4th or
5th grade approach (and they do not wish to bring up the level
of expectations) then they get the 4o or 50. But it is my
work, "Yes, but it is not the objective expectations that was
required in the lesson" Keep high expectations and you will
get that 7/8 grade work, keep low expectations and tha tis what
you will get. Students will always (majority of times) only
give you the minimum, so keep the minimum high. This works for
me ( oh not 100 percent but 70 percent and above.

Jackie Brewer (Aust)
Bryan High School
Bryan Texas 77802
austart@bryanisd.org (Art Classes)