Pushing Quality

---------

From: Anne Rose-Phillips (arosephillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 22:07:35 PST

Hello
As a newly licensed teacher, I have been subbing a lot & so am
wondering about this with students who are new to me as well as ones I
know better.

How do you get the kids to work longer, take more care, etc in order to
produce "better" art work?

For example, yesterday I taught a "Scientific Illustration" class of
7/8's and most of their drawings looked like 4/5's work (and there was
some great looking art on the hallway bulletin boards, so somebody is
doing something right there!) I showed them perspective (which they'd
already learned) I talked about shading, detail & texture, but still...

I tend to not want to actually draw on their paper, but I do walk
around & look at/ talk about what they're doing.

Should I take a more active approach? Have more requirements?

I would love to get some ideas from this pool of experienced art
teachers...

Thanks
Anne

---