Re: argument for 7th 8th grade art-rant

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 19:02:44 PST

We are going through a similar scheduling dilemna. The exploratory teachers (including me) spent a few hours looking at the scheduling mess and concluded that because of the number of exploratories offered, either the kids would (1) skip art at one grade level or (2) at each grade level some kids would take one quarter, some two quarters and there's no guarantee of the order they would take or who would end up in either class or both. Which would mean about 7 preps for the art teacher (7 totally different curriculums that are a quarter long). Pretty crazy, but I looked at the schedule and it really is wild. I'd rather not have the kids miss art at one grade level.

Mikel Lee <mikellee31@yahoo.com> wrote:I have the exact same problem with my school! We offer
7th, 8th and 9th grade art and then they mix the 7th
and 8th graders with the kids having a choice between
full year and semester courses. When I went to my
princi"pal" and talked to him about changing the
schedule he was all for it. THEN the other "art
teacher" discussed the same issue with him and all of
the sudden the principal decided that we would switch
to all one semester courses and no full year so that
scheduling would be easier!!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And maybe even 9 weeks
instead. When I tried to explain to him and the other
"art-hole Teacher" why this is BAD they told me a
little story about how you can teach beginning math to
two groups of students and to one you can teach
addition and to the other you can teach subtraction,
but they will have both learned beginning math!! So,
not to worry when the kids come in at the semester
mixed with kids who took art for the last 3
semesters.. they will all be learning BEGINNING
ART...or is it MATH???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I
already say ARGHHHH!??? This is my first year at this
school, and I am pretty sure it is my last!!