Red Dye from Bugs

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 18:25:02 PST

I'm getting an amazing "free" education in my docent
training. We had two great lectures yesterday by experts
on Art in Spain and Taos Modernists. But, it's the little
facts that amaze me. Early Spanish in the Americas discovered
a source for a red dye. For a long time they kept it
a secret as they exported it back to Europe. These little
red bugs "Cochineal" are removed from cactus plants and
turned into a red dye. Kids learn how it is used in
lipstick, soda pop and popsicles. Yuk !!
Check it out at:
http://www.wcsscience.com/cochineal/beetles.html
                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--