RE: argument for 7th 8th grade art

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 06:54:32 PST

Just a clarification on electives v.s. required subjects:

Required subjects typically mean the core subjects that have traditionlly
made up the crux of the curriculum (English, math, social studies, science).
Electives, of course, are everything else that have also shared similar
status with extra-curriculars. The concept of Required Electives basically
means that students have to select among a group of elective areas to fill
out their course selections and earn the necessary credits for 'graduation'
whether at middle school or high school. Within the elective areas, some of
the course areas are required, which also helps to define the elective
selection process. In my district, for example, students need to select an
arts area course for graduation credit.

Kevan

---