RE: Hermitage Museum-Has anyone been there?

---------

From: Leslie Miller (zandeerae_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 04:24:36 PST

Susan,
Two days in the Hermitage is wonderful. The first time I was there we were
given about 40 minutes by our guide. We then went back the next day, two of
us, with a young college student that we hired for the day. My second trip
to St. Petersburg I spent two days there and in the Russian Museum, which is
a do not miss.The Hermitage is huge. get a map and take a deep breath! It
was a palace and so the trappings of Peter's reign are everywhere. You never
forget, in any of the rooms that it was a state palace. The last time I was
there they were rebuilding and remodeling so every time we wanted to go from
point A to point B we had to retrace steps for miles and go through point
Z! There is another building across the plaza that has more of the
collection and changing collections.

The impressionist rooms on the second floor and the Matisse's will blow you
away. Matisse's we've grown up with in books and there they are all around
you and more you've never seen! And the Rembrandts! Oh my God-the
Rembrandts! The portraits, early and late.I spent so much time just staring
into their eyes!

Let yourself wander. The guards are very persnickity in some rooms, and not
at all present in others. The windows are open in warm weather. St.
Petersburg is built on a swamp and it's muggy and watch the mosquitoes!

Make sure you have time to walk Nevsky Prospect, the main drag, to go in and
out of the galleries. And go on line to the Mariinsky Theatre(Kirov Opera
and Ballet) while you are here to see what's playing when you'll be there.
Get tickets, for American's, when I was there it was $90.00. All places are
American prices and Russian prices; no way to get around it. That theatre
is the most beautiful room I have ever been in, over and above all the other
palaces I visited in the area:no, in the world.

Are you going to Pushkin to see Elizabeth's palace? The Amber room is there,
as well as good shopping, and 20 miles west, on the way to Lomonosov, where
my friends live, is Peterhof, where all the state visits take place. Not to
be missed.

Contact me off list for more about visiting St. Petersburg.I wish I had
known about your visit when you were here.
Les,
who is off to Newton to make paste paper with Carolyn and Arlene, who were
your hospitality committee.

Leslie Miller
Fountain Street Studios
Framingham, MA