Re: argument for 7th 8th grade art

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 01:14:20 PST

Hi Woody,
In answer to your question - I teach in a private Catholic school and yes, a
required elective is an oxymoron in our school. We've had parents ask the
question "what if I don't want my child to take an elective?" The answer,
they have to it's required. I'm not sure why they call it an elective but I
understand that it is better than saying we are "specials"... funny concept,
huh. :-) The one thing that I can say about our school versus other
private Catholic schools on the island is that we are one of the few that
actually offer Art, Music and Band. Most schools either offer only music
and Art is taught by the homeroom teachers, so I'm in a very nice
position... I just need to keep selling my program and keep my enrollment
up. On the flip side to your question - The public schools in Hawaii do
offer Visual Arts at no charge but resources and funds are limited like so
many cut backs in schools these days.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI