Re: photographers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 18:14:37 PST

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/
is a great resource.

I have hundreds of photo books in my room and the one the kids look at
most is Diane Arbus. I just had a great seminar on Arbus with my photo
kids in conjunction with the show that just opened at the Met.
My personal favorite is Harry Callahan. I saw an interview with him on
60 Minutes years ago and the way he talked about his love for his wife
and how, as his favorite model, he so respected her personal space --
it was the most charming interview. For years I loved Callahans photos,
but it was not until I saw a show of his work and saw how tiny his
images were that I truly appreciated what he said in so little space.
I guess I'd have to say Cartier-Bresson is the master of masters. You
can use his photos for any lesson in composition in any media.
Julia Margaret Cameron is a great story, as is Bernice Abbott.
Bourke -White was once named not only an important photographer but one
of the most influential women of the 20th century.
I love Irving Penn and Avedon for what they gave to fashion photo as
well as portraiture.
Photo offers so many opportunities for all kinds of opportunities to
"discuss."
My list is long -- Cindy Sherman, Robert Frank, Weegee, Strand I never
know how to pick a favorite.
Salgado blows me away.
Someday I will put together, as a book, the photos I use to teach. I
think of every thing I do, the photos that I love and teach about reach
more kids than anything else I do. I love the power of a still photo
and always will. I start all my photos classes each year with a
discussion of Lange's Migrant Mother and talk about the power of that
image and how it is an icon for an era. That photo contains so much
history and history of art. The kids never forget the story.

Patty

---